80% of Online Daters are looking for a Serious Relationship


Thanks to its increasing popularity and a whole new range of demographics-specific websites to choose from, online dating has become more acceptable in recent years. And though it’s a more convenient way to find potential dates (who has time to actually go out and meet these people?), there’s still a lot to stress about in the process.

In an effort to help alleviate the stress of online dating, we surveyed our users to determine what daters are looking to get out of the experience. The survey’s were conducted over two different groups; one aimed at daters aged 40 and up and one aimed at the general population. Here are some of the results:

First Impressions. When deciding whether or not to contact someone, 42% of mature daters and 37% of general daters deemed a person’s profile description to be the most important factor. Other aspects that led to initial contact: location, appearance (based on photos) and age, in that order.

To wink or not to wink? Our online dating websites let users send “winks” in lieu of actual messages as a way to show interest, without having to actually write anything. But although the wink is a cheeky way to say hello, only 38% of daters are using it. More than half of users in both groups send introductory messages & making the extra effort to type a brief “hello” could actually help in the long run, as more than half of those surveyed prefered receiving a message over a wink or an instant chat invitation. Among the general population, 52% agreed that a short message was best, while about one-quarter liked longer notes sprinkled with interesting facts about the person.

Commitment. It may be tough to determine a potential match’s intentions via an online dating website, but the survey results reveal that most online daters are interested in starting a serious relationship. Only 21% of the general population is looking for something casual; the other 79% are in it for the long haul. Meanwhile, only 44% of mature daters are looking for something serious which is quite surprising: you saucy seniors!

Results. After the grueling process of weeding through potential matches, deciding whether to wink or message and establishing a flirtation, about one in five members eventually find success.

 

 

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *