This Thursday, 20th July, we are planning to migrate all our site assets (including member photos and site header/footers) from our current storage solution to a new storage provider.
Why are we doing it?
A few reasons, but, the main reason is to improve stability.
* We have had issues with the current storage solution and it contributed to more than one platform outage
* Our new storage provider is highly available and we are increasing coverage by replicating assets to more than one geographic location
* We believe the new solution will be faster
* The new solution will be more flexible for future projects and storage needs
What might happen during the migration?
The migration will take just under 3 hours. We don’t expect to see any issues with the systems we’re using as they have been built to cope with migrations, however, with a migration of this scale, there’s always a small chance something might go wrong. In the worst case scenarios:
* Newly added member photos could appear broken during the migration
* Newly added site header and footer assets could appear broken during the migration
* A modified photo may not show as correct until the final, full sync is complete
We anticipate that this migration will run smoothly and will keep you updated on the status of it